This ingenious little Paper Pot Press from Creamore Mill is the perfect way to introduce a sustainable way of gardening when planting out seeds and saplings.
These Paper Pot Presses are made in the UK from oiled sustainable beech. They are the perfect environmentally friendly way to make paper pots for seedlings from just newspaper. While also recycling it helps reduce plastic waste by using biodegradable materials. The press makes pots approximately 5cm x 5cm x 5cm, perfect for starting off seeds.
Follow this simple guide in how to use the Paper Pot Press and you will see how easy it is to make a change from plastic to paper pots in your garden.
1. You will see the Paper Pot Press comes in two parts a cylinder form for shaping the pots and a round base which helps seal the paper pots underneath.
2. To start you will need strips of newspaper 16cm wide and approximately 40cm long.
3. Fold your strips of newspaper in half along their length.
4. Roll this strip around the cylindrical part of the press with the folded edge at the top. The newspaper will overhang the bottom of the press.
5. Roll until the entire length of the paper is rolled around the press.
6. While holding the rolled paper around the press scrunch the overhanging paper at the bottom and tuck it inwards under the press.
7. Now take the press and place it over the base.
8. Push down firmly into the base and twist to crimp the paper pot base.
9. Now slide the paper pot of the press.
10. You should now have a perfectly formed little paper pot. It’s now ready to fill with your growing medium and plant with seeds. Once the sapling has established there is no need to remove it from the pot. The paper pots can be planted straight into the ground. This way minimises damage to the roots and your pots will biodegrade naturally into the soil.